my challenges

Monday, September 2, 2013

Driving the Saudis

Driving the Saudis, by Jayne Amelia Larson.

This book chronicles the experiences of a young American out-of-work actress who accepts a several month assignment working as a chauffeur for members of the Saudi royal family and their entourage during their visit to Los Angeles.

I found this book both fascinating and horrifying in turns.  The complete contempt most of the family and entourage, in particular the men, for women and for the people working for them as chauffeurs and in other positions was not surprising, given my awareness of the lack of women's rights in that part of the world, but it was shocking and disheartening all the same.  The disgust I quickly felt for the whole visiting group, however, was eventually tempered by the kindness shown by many of the young women working for the family, as well as the nannies.  Despite their wealth, it is a relatively hard life that Saudi royal women lead, with very little opportunity to express themselves or take control of their lives or the world they live in.  I came away from this book with a new respect for what women in Saudi Arabia, even royal women, must endure.

Over all I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  4.5 out of 5.0

I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher.  This did not affect my review in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment