my challenges

Monday, May 27, 2013

1356, by Bernard Cornwell.

This book focuses on the lead-up to the battle of Poitiers, culminating with the battle itself.  This was an odd book.  As is usual for Cornwell books, I got drawn right into the story.  Unusual for books by this author, we were dropped into the middle of historical events with no explanation of the background history to guide us, or the personages involved.  As a result, although I found the story itself rather compelling, I never really got a sense of where these events fit in history.  Another interesting thing, I found the subplots much more enjoyable and interesting than the main plot.  Over all I enjoyed this book.  It could have used with a bit more context, however, to allow me to enjoy it fully.  Recommended, particularly to those interested in English or French history, and to Cornwell fans.  3.5

I received an electronic review copy of this book from the publisher.  This did not affect this review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment