my challenges

Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Man in the Rockefeller Suit

The Man in the Rockefeller Suit, by Mark Seal.

I originally purchased this book for my San Marino selection for the European reading challenge, after it came up on Amazon under a search of "books about San Marino."  I had no idea until I was halfway through this book that it was about San Marino, California, rather than about the country of San Marino.  Oops!  Nonetheless, this was a really interesting book.  It followed the life of probably the greatest serial imposter in recent history, and the man about whom a movie was made (I believe Leo di Caprio played him in the move).

What was amazing to me was how he could con anybody into believing anything about him.  Are people truly that gullible?  And would I fall for his con game as quickly as any of his other victims?  I sat there in repeated amazement at the fact that he could say anything and people would just assume he was who and what he said he was, no matter how improbable.  How on earth did he keep his stories straight as to who he told what?  If he is that charismatic, just think what he could have accomplished at the head of a truly good cause, with the proper intentions.  An amazing story, told in a manner that keeps your interest throughout.  I highly recommend this book.  4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment