my challenges

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Quest for Justice: Defending the Damned

Quest for Justice: Defending the Damned, by Richard S. Jaffe.

Richard Jaffee has spent his entire adult life defending those charged with capital crimes, that is to say those who if found guilty may face the death penalty.  Others he has defended are already on death row, but have been granted the right to a new trial.
  Yes, I am an attorney, and therefore this sort of thing should appeal to me, right?  Actually, quite the opposite.  Although Michigan does not have the death penalty (thank God!), I hear and read more than enough details about terrible crimes and trial strategies in my daily work to want to read more on that topic in my free time.  This, however, was a fascinating exception.  Jaffe is one of the absolute best defense attorneys out there, and it was a pleasure to read his incredible stories.  This book made me remember why I went into law in the first place -- to stand between the might of the government and those who are defenseless.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I would recommend it to anyone who has any interest in the death penalty, social justice, human rights, or true crime.

 I received an electronic review copy of this book from the publisher.  This did not affect this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment