my challenges

Monday, September 3, 2012

White Truffles in Winter

White Truffles in Winter, by N.M. Kelby.

 This book follows the adult life of the famous chef Escoffier, in somewhat linear flashbacks, with the focus on the period after he met his wife, and on their frequently distant relationship.  Ultimately, I enjoyed this book, but I must admit that it was an awful lot of work to get to that result.  The book, for the most part, was incredibly slow moving, with lengthy descriptions of the preparation and creation of various gourmet dishes.  I found that the most interesting, fastest moving sections dealt with the minor character of the Escoffier's maid.  I think that perhaps a reader that actually was familiar with, and enjoyed, gourmet food may have found the story much more engaging than I did.  Over all, I do recommend this book, as the story and the two main characters grow on you over time, until you feel satisfied as the book ends.  Be prepared, however, for a bit of work in the process.  3.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment