my challenges

Monday, September 3, 2012

At Midnight In a Flaming Town

At Midnight In a Flaming Town, by Lorraine Bateman and Paul Cole.

This book tells the intertwined stories of an English woman studying nursing in Belgium, an American student studying in England and traveling in Belgium, and a Belgian nun, during the period the Germans occupied Belgium in the First World War.  The book starts off a bit slow, and at first I was quite certain that I was not going to enjoy this book, but just about the time I was thinking to give up on it, it got interesting -- really interesting -- and from that point on I couldn't put the book down.  I have to admit that there are some places where this book felt a bit too easy -- like things just happened a bit too coincidentally in order to help the plot along.  Also, the book ends very abruptly, which I did not like at all.  However, the blurb on the inside cover announces that the authors are already at work on the sequel, so perhaps the abrupt ending can be forgiven under these circumstances.  Over all I'd give this book a 3.5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment