my challenges

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Small Wars

Small Wars, by Sadie Jones.

This book explores the effect that war, and in particular war through terrorism, has on a relationship, and on the individuals, through the experiences of a young family living uneasily and unwillingly in Cyprus in the 1950's after having been posted there by the British military.  This book is much more a picture of what happens mentally, emotionally, and psychologically to a person when they are surrounded by silent menace that can strike with deadly results at any time, than it is an event-based narrative.  I generally do not enjoy this sort of book, as I prefer more action in my entertainment.  This book was not really an exception to that general rule.  I didn't dislike the book, and ultimately I found it rather enlightening, but it was not a fast or easy read by any means.  I felt as if I were slogging through mud, a lot of the time, forcing myself on for the sake of finding out how it ended, without really much caring.  Adding to my difficulty in getting through this book was the fact that the only character that I found endearing and sympathetic, to whom I could relate, was a minor character introduced 2/3 of the way through the book and killed off quickly.  Overall, this book was a disappointment, and I found it largely tedious and the characters more annoying that sympathetic.  I will say that if you enjoy books that take place more within the heads of the characters than in their physical actions, this may well be the perfect book for you.  3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment