my challenges

Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Search for God and Guinness

The Search for God and Guinness, by Stephen Mansfield.

Surprisingly, I had a very difficult time finding a book about Ireland that I could get through, starting and discarding three others before stumbling upon this delightful gem.  Perhaps it is because after living in Ireland for a number of years my tolerance for stereotypes and cutesy-quaint language and dialogue that has nothing to do with reality is very low.  In any event, I am delighted that I persevered, because this book was worth the effort of finding it.

Ostensibly telling the story of the world-famous Guinness brewery from its humble beginnings to its modern-day, market-dominating position, it also tells the story of the Guinness family.  In particular, the book highlights the social activism and social conscience of the family that has kept it ahead of the curve throughout the centuries and has made it consistently the best place to work in Ireland and throughout the world.  It is an inspiring and story and a fascinating one, and I stormed through it in just a couple of evenings of reading.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it heartily to all as an eye-opening glimpse into an astonishing family and business.  Five out of five. 

No comments:

Post a Comment