my challenges

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Heads in Beds

Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality, by Jacob Tomsky.

This is an expose of the hotel/motel business told in the form of an autobiography of a lifer in the hotel/hospitality business.

This book at times had me laughing out loud at the outrageous behavior of some hotel guests and/or employees.  It also gave me a whole new perspective on, and respect for, those employed in the hotel/hospitality industry, as well as some real pointers on how to obtain the best service and best room or upgrades in my future travels.  It also gave me warning as to how not to treat hotel/hospitality industry employees if I don't want to be grossed out or given ... well, inhospitable ... treatment.

The one major downside to this book was the language.  By that I mean the swearing.  Eventually I mostly got used to the swearing, particularly when it was used in the context of dialogue, but overall there was far too much gratuitous cussing for my taste.

Ultimately, I found this book interesting, entertaining, and informative, and recommend it without reservation to anyone who likes exposes or simply has an interest how hotels really work.  4 out of 5.

  I received an electronic review copy of this book from the publisher.  This did not affect this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment